There are many types of Martial Arts. All of them have value and will do a practiconer well. From China to Israel there are so many types and styles. There are hard and soft styles. There are some that mix with others, and even some back yard systems a few individuals put together. We could even consider Boxing and wrestling a Martial Art. They all serve well a Self-Defense purpose. There is no put down to any system of Martial Arts.
The advantage of the traditional styles such as Karate, traditional Taekwon-Do, Kung-Fu or Judo is the character development and humility that these systems require.
- They wear uniforms and like the military they have basic patches and rank insignia. They don’t just wear a rock n roll t-shirt to class.
- They all teach Martial Arts foundations. By training in these systems, your footwork, stances and balance will make it easy for you to broaden your horizons and learn other styles.
- They focus more on Self-development and less on the sport end of it. That doesn’t mean they don’t have competitions but that’s not its focus. In sport there is often more disrespectful behavior and a focus more on winning then learning. Too much sport training weakens your street self-defense because of all of the rules and safety restrictions, but it does increase athleticism.
- These traditional systems usually have kata’s or forms which make practicing as much of an art form as a defense system.
- The student learns to respect traditional customs, cultures and values from the country the style is from. It’s not just a mindless sport. There is history and Geography involved.
- There is usually more focus on character training. Mind/Body/Spirit.
My belief is every student should at least start out in a traditional Martial Arts system. Then they will be grounded in the fundamentals and traditional values.
This article was written by Master Jack DeSousa 6th Dan Black Belt in Taekwon-Do and has ranking in Hapkido . Master DeSousa has been in the Martial Arts since 1982. Master DeSousa founded Martial Arts Advantage (formerly known as North West Taekwon-Do in 2003. Martial Arts Advantage is located in Centerton AR, but also serves Bentonville, Gravette, Bella Vista, Cave Springs Pea Ridge, and Rogers. Our school is proud to have graduated over 125 Black Belts, making the communities of Northwest Arkansas better, one Black Belt at a time. Please check us out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MartialArtsAdvantageCenterton