Hopefully your children are progressing and earning their stripes. If so, congratulations and keep the momentum going.
If not, be patient. Iif your child is slow to getting the curriculum, they will pick it up. You can ask us for additional help if needed. The worst thing to do is allow them to quit. That’s the opposite of what we teach. A little frustration can be a good sign, a sign of growth. We are stretching them beyond their comfort zone. There are a lot of valuable lessons that come from perseverance. It will teach them to buckle down and focus. There is almost nothing that perseverance cannot overcome! Look at water against the rocks.
As instructor’s we look for those with good attendance and a persistent attitude in learning. Those who give up easy will not and should not make Black Belt.
As a parent you can help by keeping them focused on their goal of Black belt and beyond.
- You can do this by not loading them down with so many other activities.
- Keep them progressing as much as possible. If they miss classes they must make them up, to stay moving ahead.
- Don’t over coach them, just be a fan. Remind them each month of their progress and how far they have come.
- Have a consistency and balance in their training. Avoid burn out. Be both consistent in down as well as up time.
- Every belt level will have challenges. Remind them to stay patient. It’s a marathon not a sprint.
“A big shot, is a little shot, that kept on shooting.” Zig Ziglar
Follow these steps and you will have success.
Reach out if you have any questions.
So happy you’re aboard.
This article was written by Master Jack DeSousa 6th Dan Black Belt in Taekwon-Do. Master DeSousa also has ranking in Hapkido and has been in the Martial Arts since 1982. Master DeSousa served in the US Air force and has a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from the University of New Hampshire.
Master DeSousa founded Martial Arts Advantage (formerly known as North West Taekwon-Do in 2003.
Martial Arts Advantage recently was voted the top school for 2018 from the UTA (United Taekwon-Do Alliance).
Martial Arts Advantage is located in Centerton AR, but also serves Bentonville, Gravette, Bella Vista, Cave Springs Pea Ridge, and Rogers. Our school is proud to have graduated over 125 Black Belts, making the communities of Northwest Arkansas better, one Black Belt at a time.