Living a long life many argue is mostly because of good genetics. I don’t disagree with that. But there are life style habits we can obtain to help us with longevity, but more importantly living a high quality of life, even into our elder years. Not living life with pain or low energy all the time. Martial Arts will keep us fit and fitness is one part of being healthy and living a healthy lifestyle. To be healthy, there are other practices to consider such as:
1. Fresh air – This one is under rated. Deep breathing will help us mentally and physically. Clean, smoke free air is important for good health. Keep windows open when you can to circulate fresh air.
2. Drinking a sufficient amount of water – The human body is over 70% water. We need to stay hydrated, especially on hot days or high exercise times.
3. Nutritious food – foods of high water content such as fruits and vegetables. Lean meats for protein, with rice or pasta for energy. A vitamin supplement is recommended because we lose so much nutrition through processing and cooking.
4. Proper rest/sleep – proper recharge of the batteries are in order, especially mentally. Sleep is where your body can heal and rejuvenate. The brain requires a lot of rest and quality sleep is the answer.
5. Safety lifestyle – Remember to use common sense in every activity you do.
6. Reduced Stress – Deep breathing and exercise is very helpful in stress reduction. Also, training our minds to be positive and resourceful under stressful situations.
7. Laughter – This also helps us with stress. A good belly laugh daily is just what the doctor ordered.
8. Quit the bad habits – Bad habits put wear and tear on the body.
We start making the world healthier by making ourselves an example.
This article was written by Master Jack DeSousa 6th Dan Black Belt in Taekwon-Do. Master DeSousa also has ranking in Hapkido and has been in the Martial Arts since 1982. Master DeSousa served in the US Air force and has a Bachelor’s degree from the University of New Hampshire.
Master DeSousa founded Martial Arts Advantage (formerly known as North West Taekwon-Do in 2003.
Martial Arts Advantage recently was voted the top school for 2018 from the UTA (United Taekwon-Do Alliance).
Martial Arts Advantage is located in Centerton AR, but also serves Bentonville, Gravette, Bella Vista, Cave Springs Pea Ridge, and Rogers. Our school is proud to have graduated over 125 Black Belts, making the communities of Northwest Arkansas better, one Black Belt at a time.